Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The work menagerie

I'm sure I've talked about my fantastic boss before, but let me reiterate. My boss is fantastic. He's absolutely part of my chosen family. In general, everyone I work with is amazing. (Before you get too jealous - My actual *job* is not incredible, but as I have found from previous jobs, who you work with makes a shit ton of difference.) The people I work with are passionate about what they do, funny, generous, and *great* to drink with.
So my boss and I are working today and we get sidetracked watching Betty and Charlie jumping everywhere and being incredibly freaking cute. Basically, our office is a madhouse. Bossman asked if I am going to keep Charlie, since when I have a baby the office will be really full. See, he plans on having me keep working when I have a kid. He's never gotten married or had kids but he likes living vicariously through other people's dogs and kids. And he is really ready to add to the office menagerie.
I told him it would be a while.
Is it wrong to be sad I don't have a baby so my boss can be happy?*

*Obviously, bossman is not the primary motivating factor to have a baby. If that were the case this would be a lot creepier. OK, I am doing a total Kate thing here. I don't know why she wants to stop doing footnotes, because I think they are part of her coolosity.

13 comments:

  1. It would be creepy, but it would also probably get you on the talk shows: I Had a Baby to Make My Boss Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are worse reasons to have a baby. ;-)

    And if it makes you feel better, another reason I'd like to have a baby is to see my sister coo over my child like I do over hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm- I'm jealous of your job. cute dogs & your boss wants you to work with your baby in the office? I'm a little jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... I'm imagining two dogs and a baby at my job.

    As a teacher.

    In an elementary school.

    Nope. Can't see it happening!

    You've got a good thing! And it really does make an incredible difference WHO you work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned two new phrases from this post: "shit ton" and "coolosity." Brilliant!

    Your boss sounds amazing. Keep him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a boss as cool as yours, I might want to have a job.

    And although I agree that Kate's footnotes are wicked awesome, I think she could have a footnote-ectomy and still leave her coolosity intact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait until Charlie starts answering the phones.

    That's one cool boss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for your good comment, friend. I'm doing a lot better with it today - I talked to her counsellor, who also said I was doing the right thing. I am feeling more secure in that conviction today, and am able to remember that I need to take care of myself first if I'm going to be any use to her or anyone else. Manny put it well - it's the airline emergency theory of helping. You know, put on your own oxygen mask first before assisting others...

    Thanks so much for your support - it means so much to me and is exactly what I was needing last night and today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree 100% that who you work with (and the overall atmosphere of the office) is a lot more important than the work itself. I have worked a lot of different places in my day - and I stay at a job where I make less than I could be making simply because I *love* it there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your boss sounds awesome. Someone who loves your dog, and wants you to bring a baby to work... that just oozes with "coolosity"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The way I look at it ... if we must work, it should be with people you genuinely like and respect. After all, this is where we all spend most of our waking hours at during the week day.

    And really ... I was about to call myself part of the "sh*t-faced generation" but it just didn't seem appropriate. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a footnote person, but I am a paranthetical comment person. (Seriously, what would my writing be without these super cool comments?). There is no reason why I need to put my comments in paranthesis (except to be cool) but I do it anyway.

    So - your boss wants you to bring the baby TO work with you? Or just keep working after you have a baby?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, he wants me to bring it TO work. He's got a spot for the play pen all picked out.

    ReplyDelete