Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yay for the internets

Here at work our internet is somewhat suspect. There are only 2-4 of us in the office (me all the time, the president some of the time, the VP and another guy a couple days a week) so we don't have a tech person. My boss *thinks* I am the tech person because I know how to do things like add attachments to emails. (Oooo! It's so HARD. How DOES she do it?)
Anyways, our internet goes out on a regular basis and usually I can go to the closet, unplug the router, wait thirty seconds, plug it back in and tada! The internet is back. However, lately my boss has been getting here in the morning before me and can't get on. He's been telling me to find somebody to fix it for a while and I finally called a quasi-friend I hadn't seen in a while who is a G##k Squad person. She came in, muttered stuff in a technical language I don't understand and now we have fast internet again. Hopefully she fixed it all and there will be no more problems.

It was really good to see her. She was a student of mine when I had first finished college and she's starting to really get her sh*t together. She comes from a very strict Catholic Filipino background and her parents basically disowned her for a while there, but she's got a job and is going back to school and has a boyfriend who's not an asshole. I hadn't seen her in a year or so, although I comment on her blog usually. It's so nice to talk to somebody who is more interested in discussing when we can go drinking than when I'm going to have a baby.
It is also nice to have my internet back at work. Speaking of which, I should go do some work...

Oh, and I called and left another message today. If I don't hear back from the financial person (who I was told to call first) today, then I am going to go ahead and do the second step and contact the donor coordinator. Maybe she can get the financial person to call me, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Ugh... I'm that person in our office. People assume that because I know a little bit about a certain area of computing that I know about ANYTHING, AT ALL, EVER that happens near a computer. I mean, I know certain software products and I understand the idea behind certain ways of talking to computers, but I have NO IDEA how to do most things. And man, I HATE when my co-workers ask me how to do something, esp. if it's something that I have to look up that they could have looked up themselves. Stoooooopid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I know just enough to get myself in trouble! LOL But I know more than my boss so that makes me the "expert" . . . g##k squad you say . . . will have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm that same person in my office as well.

    And hey, if you ever want to get a drink and talk about anything other than "baby" stuff ... I'm willing to make the trip to the neighboring midwest state!

    ReplyDelete