Monday, May 26, 2008

Four day week, here I come.

Well NaComLeavMo seems to have kicked off to a great start. I've left lots of comments yesterday and today and read quite a few blogs I don't normally read. I've had a lot of very cool new people over here commenting too. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see the blogospere chitter-chattering all over.
It also makes me feel like I should post, though I don't have much to say.

* * *

I've lived in Indy most of my life. I was born in South Dak0ta, but the only memories I have are from visiting. (I remember huge soft flakes of ash falling from the sky like snow as Yellowstone burned. We might have been visiting friends in Wyoming though, now that I think about it. OK, maybe I have *no* memories. )

Central Indiana is not breathtaking. We have no jagged mountains like my cousins in Colorado. We don't have the almost mystical rocks and wise Joshua Trees like my Aunt in 29 P*lms. We don't have the intense bustle of the entire world converged in one place like my best friend in NYC.

No, although there are certainly the everyday charms of trees and flowers and stately cornstalks, we don't have anything that naturally, incredibly, uniquely defines us. So to compensate we have a big car race. Vroom vroom. (Actually, to be fair it's more like WHNAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. I live 7.4 miles from the track and I could still hear the cars. Makes me cringe thinking about the kids at the track and what must be happening to their hearing.)


I do not attend the race. I don't really see the point in watching cars, no matter how fast, zooming around a track. Obviously, many other people *do* so maybe there is just something I am missing. In past years my lack of interest hasn't been a problem, but this year apparently all of my friends that were in town suddenly became huge freaking fanatics. Nobody wanted to go out to karaoke, but all weekend we were invited to come down to the track or to somebody's RV or to the parade. Since I am not interested in being surrounded by drunk rednecks (and no, they are not *all* drunk rednecks, but a whole lot of them *are*) who say things to their children like "Just throw the beer can on the ground. They got Mexicans to clean it up later" (overheard by my friend B), I didn't go and because my friend all suck I did not get to go to karaoke. I have not been in months and I was all revved up to go. Darn it. The world is missing out on my smashing rendition of Gold Dust Woman.


(Sorry, that was a long run-on-ish sentegraph.)


I'm not sure what the point of all of this is, other than to tell you that I do not want any of you to invite me to a car race. Ever.
You know, just in case you were planning on it.

29 comments:

  1. I'm also participating in NaComLeavMo and am stopping by to say hi! We live in Atlanta, heart of NASCAR country, and I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Stop the mailman then, because your gold engraved invitation to the Daytona 500 is in there!

    Just kidding. I hate races too. Going in circles, what's the point?

    Around here, it's foxhunting. Sound pretentious? It is. Imagine rich snobs (I have no problem with the rich part, but the snob part bugs the shit out of me), imagine rich snobs all lined up on the countryside with their booze and their pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously. How many people watch this stuff - not only in the stands but on TV? It seems that the most interesting part is the last lap anyway.... why don't they just make it the Indy 1?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there IS foxhunting, and there is the Foxfield Races, which is a horse race--and what I meant on the comment. I mean a drinkfest, I mean a horse race. And while I'm all about drinking, it's really sort of a pretentious event.

    I'm dissing my own alma mater here, but it is a school tradition to go and drink and wear sundresses and pearls and sportcoats with ties. Just as it is football games. I kid you not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see the point of the car race either! I have friends in Indy that plan their whole year around the race. I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm..yeaaa. Im in NC in the HEART of NASCAR country babbbbbby. I should send you some of the pictures I took at my first (and only) Nascar race--oh.my.god.
    I scratch my head every time indy or nascar comes on. I have to say that Kasey Kane is pretty cute...I hate that I even know what he looks like--but there are commercials all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another NaComLeavMo saying hi. I've never been to a race car track and have no desire to. It has always seemed odd to me that people consider it a sport. But to each his own I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stopping by for NaComLeavMo.

    Would you believe I was in Indiana this weekend, the weekend of the THEE race, and went nowhere near Indy? Mysteriously, there was no traffic on I-64. Other than 5-oh rollin hard to crack down on speeding. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sooo right there with you on the racing thing. I can't believe your friends chose racing over Karoake with Io! Indiana must've been invaded by body snatchers or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having a vision of you and me having an anti-car race event on your front lawn. Vegan food, green juices made using solar power, lots of flowy tie-dye robes, and a huge rousing rendition of Kumbaya, accompanied by harmonium and tambourine and especially those ropes of bells we can tie around our respective cankles. We can plant things that excel at purifying the air and converting CO2 to oxygen. When people walk by we can weep and shout at them about how all humans are terrorists to Mother Earth.

    Actually, this isn't that different from the roving band of hippies at our local arts festival on the weekend. Except they were completely serious, with their stretch-marked hoolahooping bellies and weird tribal makeup. So we'll be funnier.

    Can you tell I need sleep?

    And dude! South Dakota! That's practically here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't understand the appeal of the continuous left turn. That is all I will say, as I dislike car racing with an unnatural passion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NCLM attendee)

    I have to agree with the whole lack of understanding of the Nascar races. I live an hour north of Daytona, and couldn't imagine ever actually going down there for the races. It just doesn't sound fun - watching cars go around a track, and around a track, and around a track... over and over and over again!

    Too bad on missing the karoake though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok no race but I love, love, love Karaoke. If I lived close I would have went!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nacomleavemo here -- I love your writing and I don't know how I've managed to miss your blog -- I've seen links on others I read quite a bit.

    My husband nods off to nascar on television and he claims the droning helps him sleep -- when he wakes up he generally mocks the entire event so it's hard to say.

    I often feel the same way about Minnesota, where I moved back to in adulthood -- our biggest claim to fame is mosquitoes.


    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still confused why car racing is a "sport." And why so many folks still worship Dale at their little home-made shrines around here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't get racing either. But I have to admit when I was in Indy for a wedding a few years ago, Mike and I killed a few hours at the race car museum and I found it weirdly fascinating. Much older than I knew, and lots of fatalities early. Strange hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Strolled in from NaComLeavMo, and I can somewhat relate to your annoyance with being so close to the track. DH and I used to live within 5 miles of a track, and each and every weekend during the spring and summer, that's all we heard, whether we were inside the house or not. The funny thing was that it got to where we could even tell when they were doing their "serious" races, because those cars were much louder than when the amateurs were racing. Bleah.

    The only cool thing was getting to see the fireworks after the races were over. We used to go sit up on our roof to see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Urgh! I'm in NC, which is the super heart of NASCAR (second to Indy, of course). I was seriously confused when I moved here, because I truly didn't know that there was a whole large culture surrounding car races. I didn't know that people really did consider the successful operation of a machine to be "sport". It still baffles me.

    And you know, with the current state of petrochemical stores, it just has to be mentioned that this "sport" (and oh, in what a loose way I use that term...) is bordering on criminal.

    Please come to NC, and I will go karaoke-ing with you. No one I know here will go with me. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the comment! :)

    I just now posted a new rant about infertility. Check it out; I think you'll enjoy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are freaking hilarious. Why the heck have I only just now started reading your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  21. (Nacom visitor) Heya! I am an Indy girl too! I currently live in Southport and am moving to Broad Ripple. Holla! You must live in Speedway?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving NaComLeavMo too! And I think you had plenty to say in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here from NaComLeavMo and I've got to say that I'll be back. You're cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kareoke? Is that some sort of new fertility treatment? :)~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here via NaComLeavMo - and I'm with you on not "getting" car races. They just go around in a circle...whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am still hung up on PJ's pearls and foxhunting. I'm in the Chicago area and feel lucky. We live and breath baseball in the summer. I think I can handle that more than car racing. Can I join you and annaencyclopedia in your yard? Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wrote an awesome comment and Blogger deleted it! The bums.

    I'm pretty sure that NASCAR (live or in TV) would induce my motion sickness, so I'm there with you at the Barre du Karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel the same way about racing. We live just a couple of miles from Phoenix International Raceway which hosts a couple of Nascar races a year. I hate everything about it, from the extra tourists in town to the traffic to the noise and smell. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I visited Indiana several times growing up in the midwest -- my BFF and I actually considered staying with her aunt and de-tassling corn one summer ... until we realized how absolutely miserably it paid for the work done. Thanks for reminding me of our long road trips there through the corn fields and country.

    ReplyDelete