Sunday, September 28, 2008

Keeping it together

We are engaging in distraction therapy this week. So I will mention this once and then hopefully not say anything again (because I am so busy doing fun! exciting! things) until Friday, when I erupt with joy.

Bar results come out on Friday.

***

Ok! Moving on.
I survived seeing my friend J on Thursday. Her little girl E slept the whole time and I held her for most of the visit while J ate her dinner.

It's not actually being there that gets me. When I'm with a baby I'm too busy being mesmerized by her tiny hand curling around my finger or that incredibly soft swoop from her forehead to her nose. I'm sad but its tempered with awe of this little life.

It's when I leave and can feel how alone I am in the car, separated from my other travelers, glancing in my rearview window to a backseat that is empty, that it hits me in the gut.

***
This weekend I figured that as long as we're slowly whittling down our IVF savings to pay bills and fun things like that, I might as well spend some more of it. If we're not having IVF any time soon, why not go all out with a great big "fuck it"?

So this weekend I made the pilgrimage to Ikea with my friend E and another friend of hers. (E is temporarily rocking a Durango. We went to Cincinnati, which is less than two hours away. The three of us spent most of the day walking through the maze of cheap bright home scenes until one person would wander off, distracted by shiny Swedish doodads, and had to be hunted down by the other two. (Um, that was mostly me being distracted and wandering away...I can't blame the dad who had his kid on a leash in there. I probably should have been on one.)

Ikea is fantastic, but it does have drawbacks: I thought maybe it was just me, but E's friend J also pointed out that she had never seen so many pregnant women in one place before. They were freaking everywhere.

I managed to get out without picking up too many random objects, but I did drop a huge chunk of change on four bookshelves with height extenders so they are almost eight feet tall.

Of course, right now they look like this:


(Take away the sleepy cat and pretend you don't see my dining room floor that still has not been refinished.)


And the space they are going into in the office? Currently looks likes this:

Er. Yeah. That is all part of the distraction plan - A will be working on cleaning that space out and assembling bookshelves this week.

And now, because A took a picture when I wasn't here and it transfered over from my camera and my furbabies are just so darn cute, I give you KD and Thomas:

30 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. I am not a cat person at all but I am in love with KD and Thomas in their cat shelves. Adorable. I just want to cuddle them.

    I hear you on the whole "post-spending-time-with-a-baby" thing. I can so relate. It blows.

    Mmmm, Ikea. I'm so jealous. We don't even have one in this province, which is probably good for my money situation, cause I always wind up getting things that are absurdly cool and absurdly unnecessary. But they're so shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cats are cute. I have 2 cats also. My cats do interesting things... but that's another story.

    I've been reading your blog for a bit. My blog is provate, but I hope you will read. Please send me your email address & I'll send you an invite. :)

    m.ifthisworks(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love ikea...and really wish there was one close by, or that anything they sell would fit into my tiny saturn. :/ so, my ikea quality time is spent scrolling through their website dreaming.

    KD and Thomas are too cute! my dh is allergic to cats or i'd definitely have a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nawwwwwwwwwwww - kitties are so so cute!

    and what the about Charlie breast feeding (on my blog?)

    ya freak! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitties are so cute!

    I love Ikea.

    Good luck this week, A (and Io.) GOOD NEWS GOOD NEWS GOOD NEWS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sending thoughts of good scores in your direction... bookshelves are an excellent distraction... we have the same ikea bookshelves with the extensions (i am guessing). they line our very long entryway making it our *library* and our kitties LOVE the few empty shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those kitties are so cute, surely they are distraction enough if you don't feel like taking on the book reorganization. Good luck with that, and please post after photos! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for good news on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitties! With little kitty niches on little kitty cushions! Kitties! Telling you to screw the shelf assembly, just get to snorgling!

    Kitties!

    Sorry, all other insights have been wiped away by your ridiculously cute cats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cat shelf! So cute!
    I'm glad you were able to be mesmerized while at your friends- I am sorry about the crash in the car. I remember it so well I can feel it with you.

    I am ~spoiled~ by having an IKEA 15 minutes away from my house, plus one 10 minutes away from my job... It is a pregnant haven- almost as bad as Target. Good luck with the shelves & distractions & I am sending you lots of positive passing vibes & good thougts for friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FRIDAY!!!

    I mean.

    whatever.

    Can't wait to see your after photos- that will be some fancy organizing.
    & seriously- cats in book cubbies? adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that last picture of your fur babies! Soooo cute. I hope your distraction therapy works well (and I might have to borrow that phrase) -- I'm sending you guys lots of positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you and good for distractions! And the cats are adorable - love, love, love the cats shelves.

    (Good vibes for Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you all this week--lots and lots of good luck! And add another awwww for the kitties=)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fingers crossed all week. I heart Ikea waaay too much. Look at those munchkins on the bookshelf! So sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, good vibes for Friday!!! The part that bothers me about other peoples kids/babies is when I go home and my house is so empty and quiet. Go relail therapy!!

    Your cats are pretty freaking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I desperately need to go to Ikea. I also desperately need the money to do so.

    Your furkids are just too sweet for words!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes for the bar results!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kitties = CUTE!

    Ikea is huge and overwhelming to me in addition to all the kids and preggos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those cats are seriously cracking me up. Thanks, kitties.

    And Ikea? I need to go, really, I do, and yet I'm terrified to do it. The people there are so damn pushy and I get all huffy about all the soccer moms blocking the aisles with their massive strollers.

    No, seriously, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok that is just WAY TOO cute.

    Cute pic with the baby...so sorry that backseat is still empty. It's gonna be home to screamin' baby one of these days...

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck to A. this week. I'll be thinking of you guys on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have ~never~ been to an IKEA. Ever.

    Okay, not thinking about Friday .... (even though I'm still upset no one took me up on my hot offer)

    I understand how leaving a place you met the baby is when it hurts. I have even felt that. ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  23. You were in my stomping grounds. I have never been to Ikea but since I avoid pregnant women at all costs it's now on my list of places not to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sending gobs of good vibes yours and A's way for Friday.

    I heart Ikea also and agree it is a PG ladies paradise and it drives me banannas. I have to say going to Ikea with my IRL BFF is a blast because we make obsene artwork out of the mustard on our hot dogs.

    It's the little things in life - right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sending gobs of good vibes yours and A's way for Friday.

    I heart Ikea also and agree it is a PG ladies paradise and it drives me banannas. I have to say going to Ikea with my IRL BFF is a blast because we make obsene artwork out of the mustard on our hot dogs.

    It's the little things in life - right?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hee! Love, love the kitty pictures! And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who purchases things and then leaves them in boxes for a bit to um...acclimate to my house?!?! This is how I justify it, at least. Good luck with the distractions-I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good results!

    ReplyDelete
  27. those moments in the car on the way home get me too, every time.

    just wanted to wish you all the best for the results on friday. and say those pix of your kitties are just too damn cute. good thing you got that shelf for them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. IKEA... drooooool. You are so lucky to live so close to one. Supposedly, we're getting one in Charlotte (which is about 1.5 hrs away), but I haven't heard any new news about it recently, and it was supposed to open in Spring 2009, so... damn. That leads me to believe that it may not be happening. Sucky!

    And your cats are so dang cute. I just can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kitties are so sweet!

    Way to go with the distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I didn't realize you lived so close to me... I'm in Cincy. And the cat on the right looks a little like my sweet Cujo.

    ReplyDelete