Saturday, September 20, 2008

Show and tell: Dead Sexy Io

Thank you all for being happy my mom doesn't have cancer - we're pretty happy about it too.
Since she's ok, she and my dad have gone to Illinois for my dad's fiftieth high school reunion. I think there were about eight people in his graduating class. (By the way would-be-robbers reading this: Not only do my parents have an alarm they have the nosiest neighbor in the world. Don't bother breaking in - Mr. Jones might be ninety-four, but he will fuck you up.)

Of course, this means that my momudee wasn't around to garage sale. So I had my own garage sale. Which seemed like a good idea. At 5pm last night.

Somehow I managed to get my sale thrown together by 8am. I strongly strongly subscribe to the just-get-it-gone philosophy, so everything was a quarter. One guy bought four dining chairs, a rocking chair, a cat scratched club chair, a computer monitor, and a whole bunch of little doodads, and somehow put them ON TOP OF his little car which was already filled up with a large wife and other assorted items.
Just as I was about to put everything up to take to G**dwill, two people showed up and I sold them everything I had left (except my books) for a couple bucks. One of them just couldn't stop grinning. He was really excited about getting things: a purse for his mom, VHS tapes for himself, candles for his sister. He said I made his day, which totally made my day.

So now I just have a bookshelf and about eighty books sitting on my porch. My BIL claims he is going to come take them away but if anyone is in the area and wants a whole bunch of trashy paperbacks, you can have 'em.

When I decided last night that I was having a garage sale I realized that I would need some card tables so I went and borrowed some from my parents. While I was grabbing them from my dad's office I noticed a pile of pictures and thought I would share one with you to prove that, yes, I *have* always been this dead sexy.

You know you wish you had those glasses.


Edit: Heh. And if you don't agree with me, meet my 14 year old self. She will kick your ass and set you straight.






I was such a teenager.

31 comments:

  1. OMG, girl you have always been FOIN! :o)

    Glad Mamacita is okay. And that you made the grinning guy's day. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um- i DID have those glasses. And the same ones in pink before that...

    foxes we are. stone cold foxes! ;o)
    at least yours aren't paired with a bad spiral perm & about 20 extra pounds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whole teenage "hurry up and take the damn picture, I'm too cool to be photographed" look! :)

    Glad your mom is ok. What a scare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pics are hot. BTW - I'm glad your moms doesn't have cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very glad that your momma is cancer free! Hooray!

    And you are one sexy girl, let me tell you that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for yo' mama!

    And damn, girl. You badass. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Foxy! I will see your plastic frame and raise you beige plastic frames.

    Congratulations on an ultra successful garage sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were a cutie. You should see my frizzy hair from back in the day...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures!! I think I've got a smug 14 yo picture around here somewhere!!
    Here from ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I'm here from Show and Tell ... and I have a pile of photos EXACTLY like that, that I nearly posted as my show and tell!! I'm saving them for another time .... but SNAP. So cool ... almost as cool as the name of your blog.

    I'm glad your mum doean't have cancer. If you happen to visit me ... I know all too much about cancer lately.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I just had a strange urge to search out my yearbook! But...I DID have the bad perm (no glasses) so maybe I'll rethink that.

    NICE pics! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures and I had the same eyeglasses, only in purple. Thank goodness no photographic evidence exists. Thanks for sharing, glad to hear about your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ya know, i actually have a very similar picture of me in leggings and a "jersey" with a super high pony-tail and the hot pink version of those glasses...we were stylin'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol, that 14 year old pic of you? Classic.

    Love the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh, those glasses are awesome! And the teenaged Io, she looks like someone the teenaged Denise would have hit it off with. Oh, the angst!

    So glad your ma is past the cancer scare!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pics. To bad the most hideous picture of me when I was 14 is stuck in a photo album far far away at my parents place. I hadn't grown into my nose, had over-sized dark blue plastic framed glasses and a red baseball cap. I think it's hilarious, but my sister is horrified that I would ever show it to anyone and my husband didn't believe it was me at first.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seeexxxxyyy. I had bifocals. And a Jheri curl. You can't get much sexier than that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear your Mom doesn't have cancer!

    Love the glasses (I think had some of those, oh wait I think I still have mine, good thing I don't wear them!)

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I had that exact same teen-angst, f-y'all expression, just a few years earlier...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, Io in her Sally Jesse Raphael phase...

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is awesome news about your mom! Too bad she couldn't garage sale with you but it sounds like you were busy setting up your own. I'm glad that it went well. I'm considering doing one myself but I'm not sure if our homeowner's association allows it :P

    Those pictures are great. My mom recently sent me one of me and my two cousins. We were wearing flowery blouses with belts over the blouse -- I'd say I was 13 or 14. Words can't quite describe them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, I *DID* have those glasses. Only I was really fat and had tried to use Sun-In on my very dark brown hair and had then tried a home perm, so I looked pretty convincingly like I was lost from the circus.

    And yeah. We would've been friends, even as teenagers (especially as teenagers).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man girl you were SEXY, damn! I like you at 14 too, did you shave your head? May I ask why? It looks good on you though.

    ...and didn't we all have a pair of those glasses?

    Great news about Mom, sog glad to hear that.

    Ok I am goin to do my sexy dance while looking at my old pics, I should post one, naw..... missed you. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somehow missed the post about your mom not having cancer - hip hip hooray is all I have to say about that!

    And I think I had the same glasses - but in blue - oh yeah! We were rockin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am woefully behind, but am so happy about your mom! And also, positive that 14 year old Io would have kicked my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  26. that is certainly one kick ass photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your one bad ass mutha! I love it! I need to dig out a couple of my pics showing my ever styilish high waters and my "where's waldo?" glasses!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am visiting you for ICLW (hi!). Oh and I will be a dork and comment on my own blog (that comes on Wednesday).

    Great pics! Love the teenage one.

    Very happy for your mum. Wishing you, A, and your family the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  29. SO glad your mom got good news. And btw, I had those glasses too... but mine were 1988 royal blue!
    Never, ever mess with a girl with big plastic technicolor glasses. (from ICLW)

    ReplyDelete