Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Still here, still bitching and moaning

Whew. I just went through google reader and tried to comment on everyone's most recent post and cleared off the old ones. If I missed somebody or something incredibly important, I'm sorry.

So let's see..what's happening here...

Last week my sister flew in for an evening on her way elsewhere. Mel came over and had dinner with us (A made Mac and Cheese. Mmmm.) Mel's having a rough time, so please send good vibes her way. Even though we were both wallowing, it was good to wallow together. (I did get to give baby Simone some burp cloths though! With fire trucks on them! She will be quite a badass when she's born.)

Saturday I got up and had an abbreviated garage sale junket with my mom. It may have been the last one until spring, but it did yield a real Coach purse for $8. (They had marked $10, but as my mother taught me, *always* ask if they will take less, especially if they are having bloody Marys.) It was a nice cap off to the season. (I need to get some cleaner as it has a few scuffs.)
Randomly, I also found a wedding picture belonging to a fellow blogger, Bon. Stupidly, I didn't buy it. (More in a moment.)
I had to go to a board meeting for work in the afternoon, which was boringish, but it only ran an hour and a half over (believe me, with my boss, that's *amazing*) and then we had our annual fall dinner with the board, which is always nice. I truly like all of the guys and gal I work with and they are the best people with which to eat and drink. And drink. And drink.
(At the age of twenty seven, I can't even BEGIN to keep up with these forty somethings. Staying out drinking until 4am? At 11pm, I am usually ready to climb into bed. ) We had a super nice dinner that yielded leftover fillet mignon and chocolate cake, along with a nice wine buzz. We went across the street to keep drinking, but I gave in quickly and had A take me home.

Sunday after I eventually woke up from my slightly drunken stupor, I went and met up with Bon for coffee and a walk. We did not solve the mystery of her wedding picture being at a rummage sale, but it was nice to finally meet her in person.
**********

What other random things have I been up to?

Last week (or the week before? My time has been all jumbled) I finally put together all my Ikea bookcases. As I was doing that, I listened to CDs that the amazing Kate sent me - one to wallow to and one to dance to. A has decided that based on her musical taste, Kate is indeed a good friend to have.
Of course, something had to go wrong - I had been so proud of myself for having just the perfectly sized space for three and a half bookshelves. Except of course that I had measured from the wall and not the floor. We have huge baseboards. I don't want to cut into our antique baseboards for some Ikea shelves, so I just put the little one at an angle. It still looks pretty good.

Before:


After(ish - I still need to get all our books up there and organize them):You can get a sense of how big they actually are from the chair - it's not a small chair. I painted the walls a carmel color and got some baskets at a garage sale and put this cool 1895 Art Nouveau wrapping paper on my magazine holders:

I've also been trying to find a chair to put in there and I found this midcentury Plycraft Mr. Chair on Cra*gslist, but now it is sitting in my living room and is so comfortable that it might not make it any further:


And now your moment of cuteness:


Also, the Etsy and Ebay U.T.E.R.U.S. things are going well! I have a couple things to put up on etsy tomorrow morning, so look over there tomorrow to see what fantasticness you can buy.

Oh, and thank you all for offering virtual drinks. If they were all real, I would worry about my liver.

36 comments:

  1. you have been a busy busy girl! i loved your comment on my last post, it made me laugh out loud my sweet spirit sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are feeling up to commenting and updating. I smiled when I saw your name again.

    Even though it is completely acceptable to wallow and bitch as long as you like, I hope you don't feel like you have to for long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The office looks AMAZING!!!! I am jealous that you are so handy - the bookcases look good and I love the color you chose for the walls.

    The pup and the kitty are too cute.

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. The shelving looks freaking fantastic. I just looked at this room of mine and tried to visualize how cool it would be to have bookshelves.

    $8 coach bag, eh? Why is it that I always have to pay $300-500 for mine? Where in the FUCK do you buy yours??

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your new shelves! doesn't it feel great to organize all that crap?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJ Kate rocks da house - for shizz. She is super taste in music. Love the coach bag - love the price even more. The shelves look great and seriously - I don't think I would evah leave that cozy looking chair - EVAH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bookshelves look fantastic!! You have been very busy :) By the way...B is my cousin by marriage!

    **Here from ICLW**

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shelves look great! (ICLW)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shelving looks completely awesome! Such a change from before. I wish I had the kind of energy that takes!

    (ICLW)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very cute furbabies. Great finds at the garage sales. And, finally, love the bookshelves. I desperately need more.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the bookcases. I'm trying to budget in a trip to Ikea in the not too distant future for similar bookcases. I want the ones with baskets to hide my crap in.

    Love the gratuitous cuteness pic. Awwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lurker, but commenting from ICLW. Great find at the garage sale! I also love what you did with your shelves. It looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so so glad for an update over here. & seriously- your library remodel is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! Productivity while wallowing... sometimes that's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Io! Great job on the organizing. I can't wait to do the same with our Great Wall of Books, which is currently keeping the barbarians at bay in several rooms. It will be so great to get stuff onto real shelves!

    Love the chair, too. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been thinking a lot about you...

    I love that you have all those shelves--looks so purty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one hell of a yard sale find!!

    Cute critters too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been busy!! I envy those book shelves!

    Nice Coach! Even better that it was only $8!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've missed you Io! It is so good to have you back.

    I like the room makeover, and LOVE the poppy paper. What a great idea! Usually magazine holders are so ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I had a shelving unit like that. Oh the books I could store. You're office looks great.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally LOVE the idea of covering the mag holders with paper - what a great idea. The office looks fab - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great find on the purse, and love your decorating efforts, too!

    Glad you had a great dinner, and some good QT with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I need to get some of those shelves. Seriously. The situation here is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your shelves look great! Can you motivate me to get organized?? BTW...your pets are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything looks great. Especially the cuteness picture.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What cute little guys! You clearly saved the best for last.
    Thanks for your good wishes on my post tonight. The first visit went very well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jeez, you have been busy! I'm jealous of your chair-it looks sooo comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing I want some of them shelves - how high are your ceilings ?
    You are very creative

    Here from IComLeavWe... (adoption,pregnancy loss, IVF twins)
    My Little Drummer Boys

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey - i just got out my newest "winter" bag (i buy a new coach bag each season) and thought i'd share ...

    http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=11237&category_id=1825

    But it's the light brown with a PURPLE patent leather stripe. omg. I am in love with my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  30. CHARLEH!!!! Yay for a picture of teh charleh!!!

    Man, your office looks awesome. I love the bookshelves. I need to do something similar with our office, but the arrangement is a little weird. Actually, I need to take my "dressing" (well, lotioning/hairdrying/non-water-based morning prep) space out of our office and then the arrangement will not be so terrible. But that will require putting the dressing space somewhere else. Which will inevitably require rearranging something else which will come back to the need to knock down a wall... it always comes back to knocking down a wall...

    But anyway, I love the wrapping paper. It's gorgeous- did you order it from somewhere, or is it another garage-sale find? The color on the walls pulls everything together so well.

    And the chair! I just love it! I have a not-quite-as-stylish-but-awesomely-comfortable chair that is one of my favorites, but it is stuck in our tiny upstairs sitting room, never being used because it doesn't match the rest of our house. I keep promising myself that the next time I make it to IKEA that I will buy a new cushion for it that matches the rest of our living room furniture. We'll see.

    And thanks for the compliments on my music taste. I sometimes wonder about the songs I put on mix tapes because I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to my taste. And I always wonder whether someone will like what I choose. So I'm glad that you and A like it.


    And DAY-YUM! That is an awesome find with the Coach bag. I used to have a Coach outlet about 15 miles from my house, and they would send out big coupons on top of the discount prices, and well- I developed a habit, a leather-and-tiny-stitching habit... that store just smelled so good!

    And your work folks sound like my kind of people. And it sounds like you had an awesome fall dinner.

    And, like everyone else, I, too, am very glad to see another post from you. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi. I found your site from ICLW. That Coach purse is awesome. I like how you made your magazine holders look. Those animals are so incredibly cute.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow ! A Coach bag for 8.00 that is Awesome! I think I need to go to a garage sale with you. The bookshelves look great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I haven't been able to keep up with the partying and drinking crowd since my mid-20's. ugh.

    I was made for motherhood. Too bad motherhood doesn't seem to have been made for me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the looks of the new shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on completing the shelving project -- it looks truly awesome.

    I'm sorry for all the tough stuff you've been going through lately. I hope things start looking up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, I love those shelves! I wish I could do a wall of shelves in one of my rooms, but no such luck. looks great!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete