Monday, July 20, 2009

Yargh

I hesitate to use the word "busy" to describe this last week, because it seems to imply work or actual structured events or something. It was just a series of pop-up things that kept me from sitting down to write: My old college roommate moved to town so I took her around one evening to show her where to drink, I had dinner and walked with a friend one evening, the film fest opened and even though I don't work for them anymore, I felt obligated to go to the opening night party to schmooze.
On Saturday, my dad called me while I was at a garage sale with my mom and said that we needed to come pick him up. He'd gone to Cincinnati for a conference and threw himself down some steps on his way in, breaking his elbow, busting his left knee, and bloodying his entire face. Somehow we got him back to Indy, but the day was pretty much a bust. He'll be okay but he can't walk and his right arm is useless. Sunday was spent running errands for my mom.
He tried to get out of bed somehow this evening and ended up falling on the floor. My mom had to call the EMTs to get him back into his wheelchair. She's really upset, because she recognizes that she can't take care of him if this is going to happen.
We'll call tomorrow to see if we can get him in a rehabilitation center or something where there will be professionals to help him as he recovers.
I know he'll get better, but it's a reminder that he is getting old and my mom is going to have trouble taking care of him by herself, even with me nearby to help out.
Yargh.
I'm heading up to Chicago at the end of the week to meet up with the bloggers at BlogHer and hopefully anyone in the Chicago area that wants to find out for themselves that I am not really a thirteen year old boy who just writes an IF blog for shits and giggles.
I'll try and catch up on commenting and emails before then.

21 comments:

  1. Looking forward to meeting you! Cali speaks highly of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your poor dad! Speedy recovery to him. And your poor mom, who must be so worried.

    Have a great time at BlogHer! And if the opportunity arises to sign Mel's boob, just go with it. (We need some good stories!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Hoping that your dad recovers quickly and fully.

    Have a great time at BlogHer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your dad recovers quickly.

    Ha on the 13 year old boy comment. I would love to go to Chicago this weekend but E has base ball. Have a GREAT time. Take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can vouch for you, Io: You are not a 13yo boy.

    Your poor dad! It's really hard for men, too, to take the time and rest required for a good recovery. I hope all of you, esp your mom, get the support in this that they need and that your dad is back on his feet very, very soon. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help (buy you a drink next time I see you?)...

    Have a blast in Chicago! Give all the IFers big hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poor dad! & mom! I hope he gets better soon!

    Have fun at BlogHer- wish I could go, but any type of travel involving either airplanes or hotels is unfortunately out right now!

    Oh- and I loved "I took her around one evening to show her where to drink" - not, great restaurants & hang-outs, but where to drink! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your poor dad! i hope that he recovers quickly!

    thirteen year old boys couldn't possibly want to pretend to be an infertile! at least the thirteen year olds that i've had to yell at in the hallways at school!

    have fun at blogher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry about your dad and for the fact that it will be hard on mom to take care of him. Hope he gets better soon.

    Have fun at BlogHer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is crazy about your dad!!!

    hope you have an awesome time gatecrashing the clambake!!!!

    and dude- do you garage sale every day??

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU'RE COMING TO BLOGHER AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME? I'm hyperventilating! Email me your digits. Or don't. I mean, but PLEASE email them to me?

    *squee!!*

    I hope that your dad feels better soon. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so fucking jealous of blogher.

    How old are your parents? (my parents are in their 70s, so that's why I ask)

    I think it's hilarious that out of all the things you could do for someone who just moves to your city, you say "so I took her around one evening to show her where to drink". Nice. Priorities girl!

    (lame. my word verification is "desse". I was half expecting some kick ass WV each time now.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, the next one that popped up when it said my comment had been saved was "deakhos". Kinda like dick house. with an accent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ovulga.

    Okay, now I'm just being silly. But "ovulga" sounds dirty, doesn't it? Or just part of my anatomy. I'm not too sure. Do I have an ovulga?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, dude! So sorry about your dad - that sounds like it's hard on everyone. Hope you get some short term care worked out to take the load off your mom and also to make sure he doesn't keep trying to do things on his own until he's able. I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

    I hope you have an amazing time at BlogHer - I so wish I could be there! Have a beer for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope your dad feels better soon, and you get some help in for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he will get better soon. Have fun at BlogHer - you guys in the US are so lucky to meet up with each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "I am not really a thirteen year old boy who just writes an IF blog for shits and giggles." LOL- Damn how i've missed your blog.

    Speedy recovery to pops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to hear about your dad! I hope he has a quick recovery.

    Have a great time in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're not a 13 year old boy? Wow. Rockin' my world today, lady.

    Oh, MAN, that sounds crazy rough on your dad. It is so weird to watch our parents age. I mean, I know I'm getting older, but seeing my mom and my dad suddenly look like they're in their 60s is just weird. I went through it with my dad a while back (with the cancer, and the bypass and the re-bypass), but it still catches me off guard when I look at them and can physically notice that they've aged. I'll be thinking about your family and hoping your dad heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best wishes for Dad, and have FUN at BlogHer! Tell everyone I said hi! haha. (like i can't tell them on here)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope your father is doing better.

    I hope you are having fun up in Chi-Town. I am so very jealous!!

    ReplyDelete