Thursday, August 13, 2009

Laundry or blogging?

You win people. I have been a crappy lazy blogger lately, but there is laundry to be done before I leave for NYC tomorrow morning. So clearly, I need to update my blog. Right. Now. (Dora, if you do meet up with me and I look homeless it's because I never moved my clothes into the dryer and I had to patch together fuchsia leggings and neon green cardigans from my goodwill bag. Please don't run away.)(Actually, on second thought I think I want to keep those fuchsia leggings.)

Last weekend was really great. One of those weekends that just makes you feel *content*. A and I went to Pittsburgh to visit my friend E who moved back there last year. (She's the one whose asshole boyfriend dumped her when she was diagnosed with cancer.) I was kind of dreading going because I had somehow decided that it was an eight hour drive. When I realized it was only six and a half, suddenly that seemed totally reasonable!

We left Friday morning and somehow despite my getting us completely lost, made it in time for dinner. E's dad is classic Pittsburgh. He took us all to dinner at the original Primanti Bros. They bring your sandwich out on wax paper and the fries are on the sandwich. Hard to get your mouth around, but once you do...oh lordy. De-freaking-licious.

After we ate we went to a STLCardinals game. Right, they were playing the Pirates, but we were there for the Cards, as it is the family religion. (My mother is a heathen though - Cubs fan.) E's parents have great season tickets in the first row right above the third base line.
I got to see the Pirate Parrot:
The Pierogi(is that the plural too?), as they lined up to race around the field :
And most importantly, my boyfriend Yadier Molina:

The weather was fantastic, there was a breeze, I got to drink Yuengling. The Cardinals won, though considering the Pirates, that's not saying much. Sorry Pirates fans. But it's like how I have to admit that the Pacers make me cry. Or would if I really cared about basketball.

After the game there was a concert by O.A.R.
I didn't know them, but E was kind of a fan and they had a great fireworks show too. The lead singer lost his voice and the band really stepped up to try and put on a great show anyways. (As far as I am concerned, but then I have never been to an actual concert concert. Unless you count the symphony playing Led Zepplin.) Afterwards the band came over to where we were and met fans. They were all extremely gracious, to the point I am thinking I may buy one of their CDs just because of how the sax player stepped it up and because they all signed E's shirt for her.

We got back to E's parents house (she lives with her parents right now) at 1am and enjoyed chocolate milk (I brought Oberweis as requested. Mmm.) and beef bbq sandwiches.

The next morning A and I slept in then had coffee with the family's St. Bernard (so freaking sweet) while everyone else went to E's twin nieces' baptism. After church everyone came back to the house - by everyone I mean E's brothers, their kids, their knocked up girlfriends, their friends, and their friend's knocked up girlfriends. E's dad gave me the "watch out, babies are catching" nudge. Doh.
We had a huge brunch then A and I drove back to Indy in a sugar coma. I do not know how he drove because I was loopy with bacon and cherry pancakes and baptism cake. Maybe it was because he doesn't eat bacon.

We got home and although far too much of the weekend was spent in the car, it was just a really fantastic weekend.

This week was work, which is always fun. The scary house on stilts next door? Is now resting on our gutter. See? My office is on the left, certain death is on the right and all that is protecting me is an aluminum gutter.
I really should go work on my laundry...

But I still have more to ramble on about!

Really!

Um.

I am leaving for New York in the morning and I am really excited for my yearly trip. I usually go alone to visit my best friend. (Except for the year that A surprised me - I didn't get it until I was physically kicked out of the car at the airport by a friend who I thought was taking me to breakfast. I thought he had *accidentally* turned into the airport. I'm not the brightest.)

I'd tell you all about my exciting plans but I don't have any, just a vague idea I might meet up with a couple people and that I need to go the drama store. Gotta buy me some more drama. I'm starting coaching speech next week and I need to find some interp material. I somehow was really surprised today when my boss called to talk about next week because omyfuckingcheescake WHERE did August GO? I'm still living in July.

Laundry. Right.

I don't know why it takes me so long and such a desire to avoid laundry, but I am feeling sort of reluctant to talk about IF. For a supposed infertility blogger, I am pretty good at avoiding anything more detailed than pithy comments about how everyone has a child and I have nothing and woe is me.

A and I had a discussion on our long car drive to Pittsburgh and back. We've not really discussed the whole IVF thing for a while. With him being jobless for a year, it wasn't something that was anywhere within reach so what was the point? Our savings dwindled and he was depressed and I was bitchy. But now that he has a job and is practicing law and our credit cards are paid off, I am feeling itchy again. Not that I don't spend money, but every time A went to play golf or ate lunch out (I bring my lunch every day) I felt myself getting a little more resentful that he wasn't putting every damn dime towards saving. Not that we had talked about it in more than general terms that next spring looked good. I just thought he should KNOW. I mean, I feel crappy enough about this that I have a damn infertility blog!

Something incredible actually happened that made me finally restart the conversation seriously. The incredible Calliope got an email from L who had some, er, "stuff" to donate to somebody who was going to do IVF. And she connected us and A and I now will have a little less to save up. It makes me want to weep with gratitude. (And if you have any mind powers, L's first ultrasound is on the 18th, so send her good wishes.)

So after we talked about where we are, where we need to be, and how we are going to get there, it looks like the beginning of 2010 (barring any crap, which would make me tear my hair out and claw my eyes) is what we are shooting for in terms of IVF. It's going to suck and we are really going to have to be frugal (after this weekend - I reserve the right to spend a couple hundred bucks in NYC), but I plan on having some real shit to bitch about soon. I want to comment on the irony of taking birth control pills and I want shitty lupron side effects and I want to post the obligatory "holy shit, look at all these drugs and syringes" picture.
I'm starting to think I may be slightly masochistic.

Better punish myself by finishing the laundry.

27 comments:

  1. Great post. Hoping you get to Lupron yourself up in 2010 :) And that you have some clean clothes to wear for your trip to NYC! Have fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for baptism cake and shots in 2010! You have the most incredible patience, and for the record I think it's totally fine to snap at A. for eating lunch out (I snap at JD all the time despite the fact that he -is- dutifully living as frugally as he can while I traipse my way around Europe ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy shit! I'm so, so excited to hear about your plans, though I know the sacrifice it will demand. I want to make it easier for you... Please let me!

    I'd be happy to get bring you yummy hippy treats from Hippytown, help with transport, wash your dishes, whatever, if you're resting after ER or ET... Or I'm glad to distract you during your waits with movies, silly books, chocolate, and stupid chit chat. Also, if you want to hear about my RE, I'm happy to share. And if you need a needle pep talk, you can call anytime.

    Meanwhile, have a great time in New York and don't buy too much drama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have a plan and some supplies in place. Have a wonderful time in NY. The Drama Book Shop is one of my favourite places. As is their bathroom. I have been sick in it several times. But that is a story for another day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a long post! I so enjoyed reading it and catching up on your life. Have a wonderful time in NYC! As Michael Scott told us, "New York is the city so nice they named it twice. Manhattan is the other name."

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy update batman!!!!!

    laundry does suck, but i really shouldn't complain now that i have a wonderful polish woman that does the rest of the housework for me. i always feel like it takes me EONS to do and there's only two of us!

    i love the post-baptism party story. it sounds just like my family minus the st. bernard. gotta love the big catholic families, even if they're so damn fertile!

    i'm so excited that the IVF plan is going to come to fruition soon. how great for you guys to have less to save up for. and trust me, l.upron isn't that evil. if it wasn't for l.upron i would've been in A LOT more trouble.

    have a great time in NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were on "hold" for about two years. It gets old. And it feels good to know that there is an end to it in the foreseeable future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loathe laundry too...Id rather go outside in the sweltering heat and weed the garden. But then that would make me sweat, and Id have MORE laundry...*sigh.

    Have a great time in NY! And soooo excited for 2010--great things ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leggings and cardigans! Yikes! You are going to melt in that this weekend. I think you'll need to do a little clothes shopping. Summer stuff should be on clearance now. No worries about what your clothes look like. Anything goes in this town. But it's going to be HOT and HUMID!

    Good to hear you have a plan. Limbo sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, Io? That is freakin' AWESOME that you have a plan! I can't wait to hear about your lupron side effects - seriously, dude, I will be waiting with bated breath until I get to read those posts. Because they will rule, naturally, but also because of how much I understand what it feels like to get moving again after waiting for so long without even being able to try. I get that, truly, I do. And I could not be happier to know that things are starting to prepare to move for you.

    Also, I am sick with jealousy about your trip to Pittsburgh - pierogi mascots? Seriously that is the best thing ever, aside from possibly a sandwich with fries on it, which I may be making some impromptu version of in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wha-hoooooo!!! And early 2010 is pretty close. So glad you're able to get back to the business of baby making soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beginning of 2010 is so soon!! I can't wait to hear you bitch about the crappiness that cycling entails. Bring on the needles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hrm, you've got me thinking. My husband always says "pierogis" and his Polish grandma makes the best from scratch. But now I'm wondering if that's right or if "pierogi" is plural. Must do some research...

    So awesome to hear you'll be jumping into treatment in the not so distant future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From wikipedia:

    "Pierogi are small enough to be served several or many at a time, so the plural form of the word is usually used when referring to this dish. In Polish, pierogi is actually the plural, pieróg being singular. (The singular form pieróg also refers to a pie). In English, the plural is often written as pierogies."

    ReplyDelete
  15. holy crap on many things.
    1- I have seen the primanti bros sandwich on many a food network show- kudos for even attempting it!
    2- yay ny- boo me being even further away when you are only 2 hours from where I live!
    3-please stay far far away from that side of your office, especially windows. Just saying...
    4- holy holy crap- you are moving forward so soon! 2010 is just around the corner, like less than 6 months dude. awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah for posts with needles and side effects in 2010. Me too, I hope, to be hittin up that IVF bitch again soon. Have a great time in NY and do lots of drama, ist hard not to there. I love that city!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't mind laundry, I play the avoidance game with cleaning the bathroom.

    Looking forward to your lupron headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So great to hear from you...and I am so looking forward to next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. BLOGGING FIRST. Always blogging first.

    and
    HOLY SHIT. There's a HOUSE on your office! That would freak me out!

    Sounds like your trip was a blast (though you're already on a trip again, by now, which I'm sure is also a blast).

    Now I know where Leslie the homeless drag queen and one time Austin mayoral candidate gets his kick ass clothes from-- who in their right mind would give away awesome fuchsia leggings to Goodwill!? You must keep them!

    I'm so glad that you and A got to talk about IVF stuff. It can be so difficult to get the men-types to come around sometimes (or maybe it's not gender, but just my tendency to talk something to death and H's tendency to silently fret something to death). And I totally get what you mean about scrimping and saving whilst the other half spends freely. We really wanted to put in a shower on our master bath sometime this fall, but since I'm not working, and H is the main bread winner, I always feel weird asking him to quit spending his effin' money so that we can save money for the things we need to do. Whatever, whatever, whatever. It will happen someday, and I need to pick my nagging battles. Right now the full force of the nag needs to be focused on reproductive stuff. Sigh.

    Yeah. If you're masochistic, so am I. I'm ready to do what it takes to make that baby, damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. dude. 2010. a very quiet OH MY FUCKING GOD! YAY! (that was quiet, eh?)

    go to your laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey there! It's been a while. I hope NY is (was) a great time!!!

    I am happy to hear your plans and hope you'll be shooting yourself up with all kinds of hormonies in 2010! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. omg- I have to go work, but I had to read the first part of your post. LOVE THE CUBS!! LOL!! !I was born in Chi-town so GRRRRR on your being a STLCards fan. BOO!! LOL!! My hubby is from PIT, so I am a die hard Steelers fan. Funny huh? Cubs, and Steelers. Two ends of the spectrum.

    I too have eaten at Permanti's. Love that coleslaw french fry pile of heart disease.. :) Gotta finish this post later though...must go to work. ARGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thinking of you. Hope you had a great trip, update us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Io, are you on FB? Just saw a "what's your ghetto name" quiz, and yeah, thought of you lol.

    ReplyDelete