Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Still alive, kicking

I'm going to try and type quickly before my computer dies. I broke off the power dealio and A swears that I broke the second power cord over a year ago. Ergh. Not good. But I'm hopeful that the massive tangle of cords that A wouldn't let me throw away has an extra power cord hiding in there somewhere.
----

After promising to tell you all about my super exciting time at BlogHer, I was struck down by an evildoer who smeared flu germs all over my bag. At least, Lollipop Goldstein says that's what she did. And I believe her, because I was deathly ill all week. A few days of seventeen hours of sleep and not eating and I am six pounds lighter and still not feeling totally rested.
But before my week that got sucked into the blackhole of sickness, I had an awesome weekend. My old college roommate moved to town a few weeks ago to start law school. (And oh my goodness, tonight she posted on facebook a picture from junior year of us with our other roommate and how young were we!

-------------------
DOH. My computer died last night before I got very far. Glad I have a work laptop I can use for a few days until the magic that is ebay sends me a new cord.

I'm not sure where I was going with my old roomie, other than to say that it's exciting to have her in town. A friend of ours who lived across the hall from us freshman year (we were randomly assigned and then had an apartment junior year) came into town because she associate produced a film that showed in the Indy Film Fest, so we all got together and talked about being adults.

The day after we discussed how mature we were I drove up to Chicago where I could be completely immature and act like a teenager seeing sparkly vampires or something. By which I mean I got to meet Emily, Becky, and Melissa, the Stirrup Queen herself!
All three of them are exactly like what you would think meeting them online and it was so exciting to get to meet them in real life. Meeting Emily was like meeting an old friend. Becky was caustic and funny. And Mel is just like her writing - smart and thoughtful and humble. She let me follow her around like a lost puppy and hero worship her, which was very kind. I'm watching for the restraining order in the mail any day now.
Becky had spent the first day at Bl0gHer and was (rightly so) named the funniest damn blogger ever (or something like that) and received this beautiful massive ruby.
She had been invited to some swanky party with a guest list but while she dropped in, Emily and I got to stand out of the rain in the real VIP section. Let me tell you, not just anybody could get past that caution tape. You had to be somebody pretty special to climb over it.

Becky decided not to stay for the second day of the conference and
---
Ahem. If you are from the corporate arm of Bl0gHer the rest of this is made up since I don't know if it's kosher
---
so I got to take her pass and be her fan club president and pass out her cards the next day! Not only this, but in clearing out her hotel room, she was going to leave behind this guy:

That's right. A Robert Osborne bobblehead. Who's Robert Osborne, you ask? Why, he's the host of Turner Classic Movies. Of course. That's my finger on his shoulder, because we are the best of friends. And I know I look slightly insane, but I was just so happy to be there. Plus, I may be slightly insane.
Who else is good friends with him? Why, Mel is!
That's right, he came to dinner with us. (Though this first picture was actually taken in the bar we went into before realizing that there was nothing we wanted to eat. The waitress was very nice when we decided to leave after drinking our waters.)
Rob hung out with us all night.
---
Saturday I met up with Mel again and went to a few of the sessions. A lot of it was over my head or not relevant to me (I don't really care about growing my readership - in fact, who the hell are you people? Mom, are you reading this?! Ack!), but it was interesting to see all these women who feel as passionately about their community as we do about ours. And amusing to see the look of horror when I told the woman next to me that I.have.no.twitter. Gasp.
Of course, it was also sad to sit in a discussion about community and hear somebody say that she was miffed somebody had told her the way to get readers was to comment on other people's blogs. Why should she do that, she wondered.
And I got to go downstairs to get all the silly swag that booth people were handing out. No more Robert Osbornes, but I giddily grabbed everything else I found as though I needed baby food and brown lip gloss.
---
Then I went home and was sick for almost a week. I will spare you details.
---
This Sunday I had my birthday. We were originally going to have a bbq with friends, but having been sick all week I didn't feel up to it so I just stayed in my pjs all day.

Hmm...what else, what else...

It rained it's ass off today and as I sat in my office with the electricity flickering I was slightly worried about this:
This would be the view from my office porch of the house about five feet away from my office. Perhaps you can't tell what's under that plastic sheeting...

Nothing. Nothing at all. They are renovating the house, which was built in the 1800s, and the foundation work includes lifting the house into the air on two steel beams that are resting on pieces of wood. That are resting in the dirt. That is now mud.

So yeah, no collapse, but I was staying on the far side of my office all day just in case...

----
There is a church down the street from me and the new congregation/pastor/whoever fixed it up, which is good, but every time I pass it there are these happy smiley people outside. It's so happy it's starting to creep me out.
----
I'm going to NYC in a week and a half. Anyone out there want to hang out? I'll cry and hug you and post pictures of you with Robert Osborne.
----

Okay, that's all the random totally late updating I have in me for today. There may be developments in me robbing a bank or something coming up though, so stay tuned.

24 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you went to Blogher and met all those amazing people!! Sounds like you had a great time.

    Hope the cord comes soon, life blows without a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT sounds like you've had an amazing and interesting time since last you posted!

    I wish I still lived in NY, I'd definitely get together!

    Glad you're feeling better, and hope you get the cord back... life without a computer is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome you got to go to BlogHer and hang out with such cool gals--yourself included, of course! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
    Happy belated B-day! Hope you are feeling MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! All of that in one post! Am overwhelmed! :)

    I extend my jealousy as well. Sounds like you had fun!

    Glad you're feeling better!

    I am notorious for killing Power cords. I think they need to make them more flexible for find some way to do without them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome experience at BlogHer!!!

    And you can share my cord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having seen the pictures on Mel's blog, I have to say that you are waaay taller than I pictured you! I love your recap - and that you took Becky's place at the conference. Sorry you caught whatever plague was going around...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like SO much fun! It must have been cool to hang out with those people... even though you didn't get to see any sparkly vampires ;)

    I'm glad that you're feeling better, and hope that your power cord arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! It sounds like BlogHer was a great time for you both (you and Robert, that is).

    I would have been totally fascinated by the whole house on steel beams thing, but also equally horrified to be looking at such a thing during a time when the dirt under those beams was liquifying. No thank you.

    Fuck the flu. I swear, everyone's getting the flu lately. Half of my facebook contacts are down for the count with some sort of virus baloney. That makes me sound like a Typhoid Mary, but since none of these facebook contacts even so much as live in my state, the only virus they could catch from me would be virtual, and while I have been known to do a touch of the old programmy, I am nowhere near clever enough to create my own computer virus. All this to say that I'm sorry you were laid out with the flu on your birthday. That is not fair. I think you should call mulligans on that one and get a do-over in a few weeks. Let me know when and I'll plan your (virtual) party.

    And since I am so generously not going to inform the police of your planned bank robbery, it would be great if you could cut me a sliver of that pie, please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday!! If I had known I'd have baked a cake. Wait! I did! Consider that two tiered number on my blog made just for you! And when/if we finally do connect one day, I'll realy make one for you. :)

    Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes- the whole house resting on mud & sticks thing is soo not cool. I would start an office bet as to when it collapses. ;o) and stay away from that side!

    glad you are finally feeling a little better- hope you get that cord soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you've been sick--that sucks! And belated happy B-day!

    It cracked me up to think of a bunch of bloggers in a seminar about building readership. I blog so that I have a place to vent. Of course I like support, but the idea of strategically trying to build my reach cracks me up, because it's so beside the point for me. In fact, it sort of sounds like an evil superhero trying to take over the universe. Love the comment about the woman who didn't want to build readership by leaving comments elsewhere. She REALLY doesn't come from the same place I do--that it's all about the venting and the support!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robert Osborne (or whatever his name is) is my boyfriend. You better give him BACK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I smell a serious conspiracy ... why exactly are you going to NYC when I happen to not be there?

    And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude. So glad you are alive and still kicking and not felled by the flu or a house falling on you. Jealous as hell about BlogHer - sounds like it was pretty awesome and I'm sort of wishing I had my shit together enough this year to go since Chicago is a lot closer to me than NYC or anywhere else BlogHer is likely to be held in the next few years. Boo.

    Perhaps I should host my own mini conference in Moose Jaw. Only you and Shinejil have expressed any interest in the Jaw (as we like to call it in my house - it's Manny's hometown) but I have a feeling that once I make it known that I can offer free accomodations at my place for at least 3 or 4 other people, in addition to billeting with my many local friends with spare bedrooms, AND offer my superb waffle-making skills for daily breakfasts, I will be deluged with registrations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and I missed the part about the sessions the first time around, but damn, that is some stupid shit you had to listen to! I'm with Queenie - it kind of makes me laugh to hear about someone not wanting to comment on other people's blogs but wanting more readers. I wish I had that much chutzpah to consider myself such a precious gift to the world that people should be tripping over themselves to read what I write...

    Sad and funny at the same time, I guess. People are weird. I mean, I love to get lots of comments as much as the next gal, but I totally get that the number of comments I get is directly proportional to how frequently I post and how much I comment myself. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been nominated for my first blog award! Now I'm nominating you and passing along the award since I follow your blog! ;) Come by my blog and receive your award!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    I'm sorry you were so sick and didn't get to celebrate.

    It sounds like BlogHer was a ton of fun!

    Seriously? Why should she comment? I mean, I know I'm the worst commenter in the world, but isn't it supposed to be about support? (Thank God I'm not concerned about getting new readers.)

    No bank robbing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so jealous when I read about my blogger buddies meeting their blogger buddies in person. I should be happy about it but really I am just jealous. I hope you are feeling better though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is most unfortunate that you are going to be a mere 2-ish hours from my city on the weekend that we are traveling 300+ miles south! I want you to hang with my chunk!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Um and why were they giving out TMC Robert O. dolls? I must have missed something. If i were back in the States I'd meet you in NYC, we could eat the best pizza in the world, drink coffee in the best little cafes in the Village. Then i could watch you drink.

    I have to coordinate my trips back home to coincide with BlogHer one year, i so want to meet all these amazing women and of course you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey chickie. awesome time for you. yay!

    and just checking in with you. been missing you tons oh tons.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought you weren't going to tell people about my glittery vampire skin.

    I am sorry that you got so sick afterwards. Though I'm glad the sick came AFTER BlogHer so that I got to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you had fun in Chicago and got to meet so many cool ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, I've been away and just saw this post. I'm in NYC and would be happy to meet up for some belated birthday cake.

    I don't have a twitter account either, but I do have a belly at the moment, if that's okay with you. I would certainly understand if you're not up to hanging with a preggo. Been there.

    ReplyDelete