Monday, June 18, 2012

Shootup at the Io Corral

Yeehaw! I did my first shot of Lupron this morning. It was pretty easy, despite my fear of air bubbles. (I am terrified of air bubbles. I have this worry that I will miss a teeny tiny air bubble and it will drop me dead. Probably an unreasonable fear, but I never, ever claimed to be reasonable.) The initial plunge took me about 15 seconds of staring at my belly and working up the courage, but those needles are so tiny I hardly felt it. I had a little rash at the site for about an hour and that was it.

Somebody please tell me the rest of the injections are this easy. Lie to me if you have to. 
(I know PIO isn't, but we'll ignore that for as long as possible, mmkay?)

Saturday I was on my feet all day. In the afternoon I went over to the hall to help my boss cook for his ex-girlfriends wedding. (They broke up sometime around the year I was born and he is her daughter's godfather.) With a couple other friends we grilled a hundred pieces of chicken, a hundred hamburgers, a hundred brats and forty hotdogs. It was hot, so very very hot, but a good time. There were about 160 people at the wedding and it was very nice - casual, picnic style and friendly.

I will be interested to see if I have the side effects from Lupron that I keep reading about - I had a meltdown on Sunday where I was bawling and arguing with A two-year-old-tantrum style. Sadly, I can't blame it on the Lupron since I hadn't started it yet. I think I was just more exhausted and on edge than I realized and when A made [what he claims was] a joke [that was NOT funny] I lost it and got angry. Which made A say stuff, which made me start bawling, which made A say dumber stuff, which made me bawl even harder. It's all fine now and A was very sweet to me after I got up from the three hour nap that I clearly needed. So yeah. Hopefully the Lupron doesn't give me terrible mood swings since I am capable of having them all on my own thankyouverymuch.

I also got the rest of my meds today -  Menopur and Gonal F. The Gonal F is in pens, which seems pretty easy, but I will need to figure out the Menopur. I have the European version, so there is breaking glass involved and I need to get syringes since it didn't come with them. Will need to figure that out asap. Anybody use this and have any tips?

I also need to mention all this to my boss at some point. I don't know why I haven't told him yet. He knows I am having a uterine polyp removed on Friday and that I got a bunch of drugs in the mail, so he might have figured something is up. I think I am worried that he'll be disappointed that I am trying to have kids or something. Or that he will be sad for me if he knows about the cycle and then it doesn't work and I have to deal with his sympathy. Whatever the reason, I have put off telling him. (My boss is more like family than just a boss. The office consists of me, him and the two dogs. Sometimes our VP.) I need to tell him, I just need to figure out how to breezily drop it in conversation like "NO BIG DEAL, JUST IGNORE WHAT I AM SAYING."

In other news...tonight I am planning a bachelorette party. This is the bride's second wedding and the first bachelorette party ended with her getting kicked out of the limo for throwing up and calling her fiance for a ride while she was standing on a street corner crying. (For the record I was with the boys that night watching sports and the other planner for this time was in labor during the last party.) So I feel pretty confident that whatever we plan will be a success. Comparatively.  As long as we don't leave the bride drunk and crying on a street corner.


8 comments:

  1. It's good to have low expectations to shoot for - have a fun bachelorette party!

    The rest of the injections are about the same, as long as they're the subcutaneous. Apparently air bubbles are only a big deal if you're shooting intravenously. So, no worries on any account - unless you take up shooting heroin or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a mess on Lupron! I took two three month-long shots and I thought that I was going to lose my mind. It also didn't help that I was teaching the first grade with a challenging class. I really hope that you don't have the same side effects. The hot flashes in the summer were the WORST!
    It was hard to explain to a repair guy why we had an electric fan on while the a/c was on!

    Good luck with the bachelorette party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the gonal f pen as much as it's possible to love a needle full of shit you don't want to need or shoot yourself up with. Made me a tad crazy though. But I swear all repro drugs made me crazy except Femara.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the old school Menopur, too, and it was easy once you got the hang of it. Can't remember the specifics, but I was a pro by the end. And all the SubQ are easy, peasy. The PIO and the trigger, well, I've got tips for you when you get to that point.

    You're under a fair amount of stress, so mood swings....allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... I got nothing on injectables... But keep through btude from crying in the street & you'll be great!
    And any emotional outburst should be completely forgiven & ignored. No drugs needed. Oh... And job moving would not be to you, but would be closer... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seconding that air bubbles are no biggie for subcutaneous and intramuscular injections. Congrats on your first successful injection! You. Can. Do. It. Re mixing up meds, my tip is to make sure the needles are screwed tightly to the syringe. I had a horrible experience when hundreds of dollars worth of stims spilled onto my hands due to a loose needle. Talk about a meltdown! As for lupron, HATE IT! I had no major side effect issues with anything other than lupron. It is the devil. But you'll be okay. The things we endure to create our families. Sucks sometimes, but really totally, totally worth it.

    BTW, I also had a uterine polyp removed. Easy peasy. I took an extra day off work. But I really could have gone to work the next day. Just a little crampy and sore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wonder if the air bubble thing has some urban legend-ness to it. You'd think people would be dying left and right from that from routine blood draws and stuff? During my IVIG infusions, the medicine tends to create a bubble-like appearance in its bottle as it trickles down into your vein, and it definitely made me go... um, nurse? Am I going to die here?

    Lupron has never seemed to do much to me mood-wise, but this most recent cycle I experienced crazy hot flashes and a big greasy face all the time. Sexy stuff! I also impressed myself hugely by giving myself one of those shots in the filthy bathroom of bumpy, moving Amtrak train. You've really gotta seize those "yay me" moments in the midst of all this.

    Isn't Menpur that stuff that they actually make from the pee of Italian nuns or something? Cool. I've only done the Gonal F on its own for stimming, once in conjunction with Lupron, once in conjunction with Antagon toward the end.

    I've had a good amount of experience telling bosses about various IF treatments, miscarriages, etc and I'd say in retrospect I wish I'd been much more vague with the male bosses and not told them any more than necessary until, say, later (like when you're actually pregnant). I think the guys just need to be told something like 'medical procedure' and maybe you can add 'lady' medical procedure and that will be way more than enough.

    By the way, you excited me hugely talking about hundreds of hamburgers and hot dogs. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good gracious, how I miss you, Io. For realz. It's so refreshing to come here and see the cobwebs swept away. You are one of my OGs, and the internetz were feeling lonely without you.

    My one message for you is this - Frank calls Lupron "bitch in a bottle" or "Devil Piss."

    Now what were you saying about those mood swings?

    ReplyDelete